Thursday, May 26, 2011

Yardstick..

Travelling in auto is pain but probably some of the best thoughts occur then, simply because you are not focusing on driving and can’t help but sit back to enjoy your thoughts. These thoughts are fed everyday by different scenarios or probably the same scenario that looks different every day. There seems to be some lessons to learn, attitudes to adjust, silly recollections to make you smile or other myriad emotions.

This is the reason why I don’t like to be on calls while travelling and prefer to watch the scenes unless it’s my mother’s call who thinks everything is frantic enough to be tenacious till you answer her calls. There are so many days that I have watched someone riding a cycle or lugging some goods or doing any kind of menial work and I think about the income disparity. I wonder why they have not been provided an opportunity to earn well and instead they struggle that way.

I am more inclined to think that way because I have seen the current generation being the first to complete their education in my village though they don’t struggle in similar manner. I like the development but it irritates me that not everyone has caught up with the growth. I was not being superior or judgmental but it used to hit me hard that life is not fair.

Then I realized that am comparing growth and development based on yardsticks defined in my world. Work is just means to an end irrespective of how much it pays and how low in strata you are. Their earnings are no less significant than mine and their lives are no less comfortable than mine. They fulfill their duties, have happy family and pave the way for next generation to enjoy the benefits they lacked. Their objective or destiny in life is as important as mine and what looks like a struggle in my vision might be blessing in theirs.

No kind of disparity will exist where you need to sympathize or empathize or look down if you basically learn to respect people and what they do. Physical form of work is probably healthier and less stressful than sitting at a desk in front of a system. Amount of money in the bank is definitely not a yardstick to define happiness or security if you lack the familial surrounding or peace of mind.

I felt the world tilt back to normal with another silly thought put to rest.

No comments: