Wednesday, October 15, 2008

So it rains…

I have been waiting for the downpour in this scorching heat, praying fervently for that shower from heaven…unexpected but at the right time, during the afternoons when the frequent power cuts test the limit of human tolerance to bear the heat.

It is not the relief it brings with the coolness nor the good will to the farmer community, my reasons to need it are just aesthetic…maybe not the right word to describe it but have you ever seen rain, violent fall against environment with no buildings, paved roads or streaming traffic of vehicles and people?

When there is nothing to obstruct the journey from sky to earth with its endearing counterpart, nature as the only landscape…I have no words to describe the wonder it arises in the soul. The humility of being so small against the world and the cloudy horizon like a disappearing vacuum…it could only be called beautiful. The rhythm of the fall with the drum beats of the thunder seems to wake the wilting trees to dance merry to welcome it.

It's the vision I recollect when my days are long and night are never ending. The view from the doorway - of the coconut trees, huge meditative statue of lord hanuman openly drenching in the shower, rain fall and the stretches of green fields. If I turn around, then there is the long dry river bank acting like our private beach, vast hills and the miniscule village with rain making the landscape divine.

I do not need footwear to step into this rain since the grounds here are not littered with the city debris…just water, mud, leaves and the smell of rain…I could drench in its purity and awash my soul from the embitterment of living. Alas, I regret the fall and the cast on my leg that shall not permit me to embrace the joy but just watch as it goes by.

1 comment:

Sini said...

wow, u've captured the beauty of rain so nicely...so much so that even i want the rains to come now! :)